Sustainable Development Goals
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are the world’s time-bound (15 years) and quantified targets designed to end extreme poverty for everyone everywhere, fight inequality and injustice and fix climate change. They superseded the UN Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) from 1st January 2016.
We know that the private sector has a responsibility and a fundamental role to play in achieving the 17 SDGs. There are 169 targets many of which are relevant to Olam’s day-to-day activities, however we are specifically focusing our efforts on Goal 2 and Goal 17. These goals encapsulate Olam’s overall approach to Growing Responsibly and our commitment to driving positive change through our supply chains, partnerships and knowledge sharing:
- We invest in rural development, directly supporting approximately 1 million smallholders including over 350,000 through Olam Livelihood Charter (OLC)
- We advocate 10 principles for Food Security including:
- Increasing productivity/yield on smallholder farms and our own large-scale farms
- Supporting smallholders to grow nutritious food as well as cash crops
- Improving water and irrigation usage
- Investing in agri-infrastructure and supporting policy frameworks for inclusive and sustainable growth
- We take a landscape approach to our operations to ensure that we can truly assess risk factors, identify opportunities and make sound decisions and investments
- We adhere to industry standards (RSPO, FSC®, IFC etc) to ensure sustainable plantations
Goal 17 “Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalise the global partnership for sustainable development”
Partnerships are the bedrock of Olam’s sustainability achievements. You can read who we work with here.
- We have multiple partnerships with customers, donors and Governments that focus on sustainable development
- We provide industry leadership on Climate-Smart Agriculture (CSA) initiatives and have launched the world’s first climate smart cocoa with Rainforest Alliance
- We support research working with scientific bodies including Agropolis Fondation, UC Davis University, and CIRAD (including the Olam Prize for Innovation in Food Security).
- In September 2016 in Singapore, we will convene key players in the food industry at the Olam Building Sustainable Futures Forum as part of one of our 4 25th Anniversary initiatives. A coalition of CEOs will convene to identify and progress specific programmes to break down silos and find sustainable solutions to the interlinked yet complex and intractable issues in the agricultural supply chain.
In addition, we are going to mobilise our 62,500 strong workforce to help raise awareness of the SDGs in 1000s of communities around the world – the more people that know about the Goals, the more likely we can achieve the targets.
We will be following this up by supporting Goal 2 – Zero Hunger, through our Employee Volunteering Programme.