Collaborating to scale up and speed up implementation of climate smart practices
Low Carbon Technology Partnership Initiative (LCTPi)
Strengthening our commitment to help our sector to mitigate and adapt to the impacts of climate change, we have taken a role as Co-Chair with PepsiCo, Kellogg Company and Monsanto for the Low Carbon Technology Partnership Initiative for Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA), set up by the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD).
Together the LCTPi members will focus on 4 priority action areas that we feel are not yet being adequately addressed in other programmes, and where we believe we can make the greatest difference:
(1) Building smallholder resilience
(2) Scaling-up investment in Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA)
(3) Improving businesses’ ability to trace, measure and monitor CSA progress
(4) Implementing agriculture-driven zero deforestation and sustainable land-use commitments.
To help achieve this vision Olam has taken responsibility for chairing Priority Area 1: building resilience among smallholders. This will include gaining the support of other businesses in the sector to:
- Drive access to finance, including insurance
- Drive capacity-building through data access, training and investment
- Create enabling environments – which will focus on environmental and social aspects
- Drive greater awareness of land tenure issues
- Empower women
- Develop appropriate tools to support farmers to adopt CSA
- Develop mass media content and use this for awareness raising and training
Read about our participation in the Sustainable Rice Platform and how we are working with the Republic of Congo to realise value from standing forest through carbon credits.
Next section: Sustainable Rice Platform